LIFE

LIFE
And just like that...life begins

Monday, May 7, 2012

Anguish to Joy

So far this pregnancy has been pretty normal until I received a phone call on Friday April 20th.  My first blood draw was pretty normal but my second blood draw was anything but normal per the nurse on the phone.  Of course I went into immediate worry and kind of shut down, I kindly interrupted the nurse and asked her if I could call her back once I got myself together.  What I was told was that all my levels went up and that they were very concerned that there was something majorly wrong with the baby.  The nurse talked about possible miscarriage before due date, still birth, major birth defects, etc.  Once I talked to my mom and husband and got on my knees and prayed, I finally calmed down a little bit.  I then called the nurse back and they had suggested an Amniocentesis.  Me being the planner that I am wanted it done as soon as possible so we could get the preliminary results back before we left for our big trip to Texas for Todd's Iron Man.  I just didn't want this hanging over us while we were gone and wanted answers before we left town for 10 days.  My appointment was set for Monday April 23 at 1345.  It was the longest weekend ever, we had talked about several things that weekend and a million things moved in and out of our minds and all we felt was a huge dark cloud lingering over us all weekend.  I just knew no matter the outcome we would get through this...TOGETHER!  Monday came and I was on my way by myself to my appointment, I insisted Todd stay with Bella, I didn't want her nap to be interrupted.  Thankfully, the sweet angel in disguise, aka, the genetics counselor Susan, stayed with me through the whole ultra sound and procedure.  All, I kept thinking was, this could possibly be the last time I see our baby.  But, I tried to stay positive and Susan prayed with me before the procedure and after.  The procedure was done in less than 5 minutes and it didn't hurt as much as I thought it would (google truly is your worse enemy in situations like this).  I left a little more peaceful then when I came in.  And now we wait...Monday night we were fine, except the usual circus we call our 2 dogs and sweet daughter.  Tuesday night, neither Todd nor I could sleep, I felt sick to my stomach all night, we were both on edge and even poor Sadie (our Boston Terrier) broke out in hives (no joke).  Wednesday (I renamed it D-Day) was much like Tuesday night, I hardly ate anything all day and felt sick to my stomach all day.  I then decided to lay down for a little bit and put Bella down early for her nap.  As I was falling asleep, the phone rang...my palms were sweaty, my heart raising, I said God whatever happens I know your here for us, and I answered the phone.  The first thing that I heard was we have GOOD NEWS, the preliminary results came back good.  No, problems seen!!  I have never screamed so loud my whole entire life, I immediately called my husband (which I knew by now probably had no nails, he's a nervous chewer) and then my mom.  So, we were able to leave for our Texas journey knowing that the 4 early tests done all came back good.  While we were down in Texas, my angel in disguise, Susan, called to tell me that all the results came back good.  No, problems seen.  As to why my blood work came back all crazy, the explanation I was given was, sometimes babies just make too many hormones and it effects your blood work.  I was never told this as a possible reason why my blood work was the way it was and I wish they would of told me this.  Then my overactive imagination would of never gotten a workout, I guess.  But, as of today, we have a healthy baby with no problems seen.  And, thank you so very much to all of our family and friends, that prayed along with us...we are so grateful for all of you!!

1 comment:

  1. oh my goodness!! I had no idea you were dealing with this, so so happy that everything came back okay! xoxo

    ReplyDelete